It was a sunny, beautiful day in St. Louis, Missouri. Perfect day for a wedding! My home church, Jennings Church of Christ, was the place. This was a church that my parents helped to start on December 7, 1941. This was the place where I learned to be a follower of Christ.
Let me share some of my memories of some things that happened when Bill and I were so young, 49 years ago.
- My brother, George, walked with me down the aisle, since my father had died in 1960.
- Our Maid of Honor and Best Man were: Joy Jordan and Jimmy Lee Campbell.
- So happy that Bill’s brother could be his best man. Jimmy lost his life during the Vietnam War.
- My Bride’s Maids were: Maureen McCrary and Shirley Wood
- The Groomsmen and Ushers were: Sam Bopp, Ray Bowen, Ken Patterson, & John Schofield
- The Junior Bride’s Maid and Groomsman were: Terry Wood and Charles McGee
God has blessed Bill and I with:
- Five children: Linda, Thom, Mike, Daniel and Matt
- Ten wonderful grandchildren, four boys and six girls – Chris, Erich, Cade, Elly, Reagan, Chloe, Clark, Lily, Evie & Zanna.
- Bill being able to complete his educational goals and serve the Lord in so many ways. Bill is still actively teaching and preaching, which is his great love.
I found this prayer among my pictures. Not sure who wrote it, but thought I would share it:
A Bride’s Prayer
Which I wear proudly on my hand.
Give me strength to know I must
Be always worthy of its trust.
Bless me, O Lord, a brand-new bride;
And let the husband at my side
Be kind and tolerant of me
If I am not as sure as he.
Cause him to help me when I fail
To measure up in some detail.
Let him not judge me if I’m slow
To learn the things a bride should know.
Bless our home, and grant us friends
To share our hearth when day’s work ends.
Give us joy, and tears, and sorrow;
And faith to wait for each tomorrow.
Grant us children, if you choose;
And may we never, ever lose
This rapture, this encircling love
Which radiates from you above!
Let me take you down memory lane to June 6, 1964. Hope you enjoy!